Gurol Yildiz is a Turkish/Australian business man who has been living in Turkey for the past 23 years. He has successfully developed a publishing company and an international marketing company.
He has played Rugby League to the level of Jersey Flegg For Canterbury Bankstown.
Discovering that rugby league was being played in Turkey he got involved by coaching Bilgi Badgers club (Bilgi University) and assisting Kadikoy Bulls in their Balkan Super League campaign.
Gurol was then invited to join the board of Turkish Rugby League(TRL) as General secretary early 2017 and his involvement helped the growth of the local competition. Following on from this he became President of TRL early 2018.
Together with Julien Treu and the board, TRL has successfully achieved the following,
– First ever 9s Rugby League tournament held in Istanbul Turkey
– Significant Increase in the number of teams participating in the 2018 Istanbul beach Rugby League tournament going from 16 to 26 teams (6 international teams)
– First ever international Under21 match against the Serbian national team
– Increase participation from 1 to 2 Turkish teams in Balkan Super League
– Turkish national team winning the first ever RLEF Balkan 9s tournament held in Serbia organized
– Won the bid to host the RLEF 2019 conference in Istanbul Turkey
– Achieve observers status and Affiliate membership
– Hosting British Pioneers in Turkey
– Invited to compete in Emerging Nations World Cup in Sydney
Gurol Yildiz together with TRL board is working hard to ensure the long term success of Rugby league in Turkey.